Instructor: Cait Reynolds
Price: $99.00 USD Standard
Where: W.A.N.A. Digital Classroom
When: FRIDAY February 22, 2019. 7:00-10:00 p.m. EST (NOTE - 3 hour class!)
Epic Fantasy is one of the real double agents of the literary world. This genre simultaneously provides exotic escapism and wish fulfillment while at the same time serving as a ruthless mirror of contemporary society.
Whether it's magic or dragons or both, fantasy bends the rules and toys with the impossible.
However, it is also perilously easy to fall into the trap of bending every rule to make it easy for yourself, your plot, and your characters. When the fantastic becomes too fantastical, your world begins to lose its magic, and readers begin to distance themselves from the emotional impact of the actual story.
Even worse? Your world doesn't stand out, and readers don't come back. But don't worry. We can fix that.
THIS IS A 3-HOUR CLASS BECAUSE THERE IS LITERALLY SO MUCH TO COVER!
Come prepared to take LOTS of notes and ask lots of questions!
This class will cover a wide range of topics, including:
- WTF is etymology, and why does it matter?: What are the fundamental rules of creating names, vocabulary, and language;
- This land is your land...: We will dig into geology, geography, cartography, and probably some other 'graphy-s', and how to use them literally in world-building;
- Keeping it real: Tips and tricks for keeping your characters relatable to readers, even if they have tentacles/magical powers/chip implants;
- Trope is as trope does: What elements of fantasy are 'required' for the genre, and how to separate those from the eye-roll-inducing tropes (I'm looking at you, servant-girl-turned-magical-warrior-princess!);
- Thinking it up vs. thinking it through: Just because it seems like a cool idea to have glow-in-the-dark dragons doesn't mean it actually is, and who knew it would come back to bite you in chapter 17, stalling out your book, and...yeah...or, how to spot ye olde speed bumps before they wreck the carriage;
- DETAILS ARE FUN!: This is the motherlode of all the different nitty-gritty details that either lure the reader into the deep end of immersion or leave them cold in the kiddie pool;
- AND SO MUCH MORE...
A FREE recording is included in the purchase of this class.
About the Instructor
Cait Reynolds is a USA Today Bestselling Author and lives in Bostonwith her husband and neurotic dog. She discovered her passion for writing early and has bugged her family and friends with it ever since. She likes history, science, Jack Daniels, jewelry, pasta, and solitude. Not all at the same time.