Class Title: OMG, Like How to Write Fleek YA
Instructor: Cait Reynolds
Price: $40 USD Standard
Where: W.A.N.A. Digital Classroom
When: FRIDAY July 7th, 7:00 PM E.S.T. to 9:00 P.M. EST
As long as there are teenagers, there will be a demand for angst-ridden, unabashedly romantic YA fiction. Whether the story is paranormal, dystopian, fantasy, or everyday literary, YA demands the author walk a tightrope between realistically capturing the young adult voice and meeting some very grown-up standards in terms of plot, characters, and style.
Who wants to sound like a tax-paying grownup with a minivan pathetically trying to sound like a teen? Yeah. No one. But it happens ALL the time.
This class will discuss some of the critical issues in crafting a story and characters that truly resonate with the YA audience. Topics include:
- Talking like a teenager without describing like a grown-up (or sounding like a dumb@$$)
- Tip-toeing through the minefield of sex and swearing
- Tropes, types, and technology
- Techniques for getting in the mindset to write a YA POV
- Teenage-level decision-making skills vs. Too-Dumb-to-Live decisions
Event Registration and Ticketing Powered by Event Espresso