Class Title: Research for Historical Romance Writing - Or, How not to Lose Six Hours on Pinterest
Instructor: Cait Reynolds
Where: W.A.N.A. Digital Classroom
Date: SATURDAY MAY 20th, 2017 2:00-4:00 EST
So, you want to write historical romance. Awesome. Now, you just need to learn everything about that time period. Yay! Yay? Oh…crap.
While you don’t need a PhD in history to write historical fiction, you do need to do your research so that you can avoid the pitfalls of anachronistic language, modern Mary Sues, and the unforgivable sin of having your characters pay morning calls before one o’clock in the afternoon.
But, how do you start researching? And, when do you end? How do you know you know enough to start plotting – let alone writing? How do you keep track of everything you need to remember?
This class answers all those questions and more.
- Get a template that guides you through all the steps of research
- Discover the tricks of effectively and efficiently using Google and Pinterest
- Learn how to use historical context in character development (i.e. no more Mary Sues)
- Find out when and how to take research shortcuts…and when you have to buckle down and just slog through it all
- Learn how to build a research reference library of your own
- Discover how to find non-fiction books that are NOT boring
- Develop an understanding of what kind of historical details to put into your story, and more importantly, what to leave out
Event Registration and Ticketing Powered by Event Espresso